Clara’s Backpack

Over the summer I read the book Finding Someplace by Denise Lewis Patrick. The main character’s name is Reesie. She’s about to turn thirteen when Hurricane Katrina hits her city. She is forced to pack her bag and bring all of her important items. She grabbed her Army backpack and the first item she packed was her notebook followed by her favorite fine tip marker. Next, she gathered all of her toiletries and her lip gloss. The last few items she grabbed were her parents’ important papers and her house keys.

If I had to leave my home and pack my backpack here are the things I would bring with me. First, all of my toiletries. I would bring some of my art supplies like my markers, pens and pencils and of course my sketch book just so I won’t get bored. Next, I would grab my iPad and my flashlight followed by my first aid kit and a pack of masks. Then I would stop by my parent’s room and gather all of our important files and our passports including my money. Then I would go to the kitchen and get my water bottle and some snacks and I’d walk across the kitchen to the mud room and pack a second set of shoes and my rain jacket followed by my umbrella. Next, I’ll make my way to the garage and get the family tent. Lastly, I’ll grab the keys to the house and my cats and the cat food. I’ll cut two small holes in the front of the backpack so my cats have a way to look out and breathe. There is so much more I would like to bring but that’s everything I would pack in my backpack. What would you pack if a hurricane hit your city?