Soccer

My favorite sport is soccer.  I love everything about it, the feeling of being part of a team, the games, the wins and even the losses. I first started soccer at the age of seven. Twice a week my mother or father would take me down to the community pool where they had a soccer field. My neighbor also played soccer and we would practice together. The next year I took a break and tried some other sports none of which were as much fun. At the age of nine I was ready to play on the field again. I joined a co-ed soccer team but I ended up being the only girl.  It was quite hard sometimes. I didn’t play as much in the games as they did, and I felt bossed around. I kept  improving on my own and my neighbor tried to teach me some moves. The next year I decided I wanted to try out for Triangle United (a league my neighbor was in). When someone “tries out” they go to a big field and play in a game and do drills while the couches decide what your skill set is. The next two days I waited patiently for my Email to come back to let me know if I got into Classic, Select or even back to Tags. That Sunday I found out I got into Select! I was very excited. I was on a team with about eight other players (all girls). My couch, Jose, was amazing. I learned a lot about soccer that season. I learned about how to have good sportsmanship and always say thank you to the other team.  My favorite part was right after someone made a goal and everyone ran up and high fived each other with huge smiles on their faces. This year I was on a team with some of the girls on my last team and I tried out goalie! It was very different from playing striker and midfield. I am looking forward to celebrating this coming Friday prior to posting this to celebrate the team’s achievements. Although I am sad that this season has come to an end I am looking forward to many more soccer years to come.

2 thoughts on “Soccer